As the temperatures rise and the days get longer, the arrival of springtime brings with it a colorful and lively phenomenon: the arrival of butterflies. These delicate creatures emerge from their cocoons and take flight, fluttering about in search of nectar and a mate. Their wings, adorned with intricate patterns and vibrant hues, are a welcome sight after a long, dreary winter. As they dance among the flowers and trees, butterflies bring a sense of joy and renewal to the world around us, reminding us of the beauty and wonder of nature.
To celebrate, I’ve created this quick, easy pattern that’s not only perfect for springtime, but it’s also a great scrap buster! These butterfly appliques take just a yard or two of yarn, and can be completed in mere minutes! Add a bead or faux gemstone as a final touch, and then apply these little cuties to any project your heart desires.
- 4.5mm hook (or as desired)
- 4/Worsted weight yarn
- Yarn needle
- Optional: Bead
Changing your hook and/or yarn size will change the finished size of your butterfly.
Feel free to play around with different yarn weights and textures to see what you can come up with. Have fun with it!
Terminology: US English
- CH = Chain
- DC = Double Crochet
- SLST = Slip Stitch
- 2 TC TOG = 2 Treble Crochet Together
- F/O = Fasten Off
- CH 5
- 1 DC into the last chain from the hook. We will be working all future stitches into this chain space. I will refer to it as the “base stitch.” You may want to mark it to make it easier to find as we go.
- CH 3, slst in the base stitch.
- CH 4
- CH 3
- Slst back into the base stitch. This is the end of the second wing.
- CH 4
- CH 3
- Slst into the base stitch. This is the end of the third wing.
- 1 DC into the base stitch
- CH 3
- slst back into the base stitch. This completes the fourth wing.
- F/o, leave a long tail for the center of the butterfly
Finishing the Butterfly:
Wrap the long yarn tail around the center of the butterfly to form the body. On your last wrap around, add the bead to your butterfly using the yarn needle. Knot the two yarn tails on the back of the butterfly to secure.
2 thoughts to “FREE Crochet Pattern: Springtime Butterfly Applique”